Thursday, November 12, 2015

I cried because I have no shoes, until I saw a man with no feet.

I took over my friend’s class last Saturday. Reached the place, gather the students, get them seated in line and there goes the routine. Lesson was all about reading. Listened to the first student’s reading – cute but needs to be improved. Second student was quite a pro – passed. Third student was talkative and she almost stopped at every sentence to associate the syllabus with funny things – okay lah can cuz entertainment. But, the next one was different. She looked quiet. Once she has settled down infront of me, I asked for her name.
Silence. Expressionless.
Instead, she showed me a book with her name on it. I thought she was being impolite but immediately shoved my thoughts away and marked her name on the attendance list.
“Which page did you stop at?”
Silence, still.
She then flipped the book open and showed me the page. Okay stop, I knew something isn’t right. Kids her age would normally be all jovial and bubbly during lessons but she’s totally an exception.
At this very moment, a student finally explained things to me (after seeing the awkward gestures between us perhaps). Allah, little did I know that she’s unable to talk. I was speechless for a moment (but glad that I managed to control myself) and moved on with the lesson.
Thoughts after thoughts gushed into my mind while she was concentrating on her ‘reading’. I was so proud of her for the determination given despite her condition. As a kid, she will definitely feel left out seeing her friends goofing around, laughing out loud and sharing jokes. But she stays strong and keeps striving for the knowledge. Looking at her lip-syncing the words on the book really slapped me hard. She is all set and driven – so why can’t I give my 100% as well in my studies?
Looking at myself, I am capable – but why am I not persistent enough? Why do I whine and complain when I’m supposed to be thankful for the things that I’m blessed with? Why do I compare myself to the people who get more but overlook those who are lesser fortunate than me?
That student has opened my eyes and I’m determined to throw all the negativity away. Why so? Cuz life’s too short to be all pessimist and stuff.
Meeting her was indeed a blessing.