Sunday, November 15, 2015

She was sleep-sitting, and there's a donation tin by her side.

As some may have known, I was really close to my late grandmothers. My maternal grandma stayed in the same house as me since birth. My paternal grandma stayed with my aunty but always house-hopped to her children’s houses. One of the best moments were when both grandmothers were in my house – all the old kampung stories and my parents' childhood bits will come out. Haih I truly miss them and their antics. But they are in a better place now.. May Allah bless their souls and reunite us again in the hereafter, amin.

Anyways, on my way home from school just now, I passed by an old lady, sitting alone on a small stool with a small donation container by her side. I’m sure this isn’t a rare sight in Singapore – seeing people asking for donation by the street. But the feeling of empathy was very overwhelming when I saw her. And what’s sadder is the fact that she was sleeping while sitting. Her head was leaning very much towards her right I worry she might fall off the stool. Seeing an old lady in that state looking all tired but still strive for money really saddens me. Indeed, it was a pitiful sight.

That was not my first time seeing her. On some days, she would be collecting used boxes, newspapers and cans to earn some cash. What’s important, she’s always seen doing work alone to survive. I can’t imagine if it were to be my grandmothers in her shoes. No, I’m not trying to be all protective over my own family and not caring about others but yknow, the first thing that came across my mind upon seeing her is none other than my late grandmothers.


The saddest thing is, I did not do my part to help that poor grandma. She is always seen near my neighbourhood but I haven’t even talked to her once. Talking is easy, feeling all empathy is normal. But talking with action is ‘something’. Having that said, I think the most important thing is to skip the ‘ignoring game’ and start taking action. Perhaps, a simple ‘hi’ would do if I’m not able to help further? At least, it will make her smile right? Hmmm, I’ll try. J